Causes of Bad Breath or Halitosis
What causes a halitosis or bad breath condition?
There are a number of possible causes of halitosis. Below we have listed some possible causes of a bad breath condition and have separated them into medical and dental causes.
Medical Causes of Bad Breath
- Sinus infections & abnormal sinus anatomies, post nasal drainage (drips)
- Tonsilar infections or tonsiloliths
- Lung diseases
- Kidney diseases
- Liver diseases
- Blood disorders
- Gallbladder dysfunction
Dental Causes of Bad Breath
- Extensive dental decay
- Periodontal (gum) disease
- Oral infections or abscesses
- Oral cancers
- Xerostomia (dry mouth condition). Many medications can contribute to a condition of xerostomia.
- Oral conditions resulting from post-nasal drips or discharges
- Allergy conditions
- A proliferation of specific types of gram (-) anaerobic bacteria.